become a Concussionaware School
WHY SHOULD WE BECOME CONCUSSIONAWARE?
Concussions can have a serious impact on a young, developing brain. While most students/athletes can recover quickly, some will have serious concussion symptoms that could last for days, weeks or even months.
Concussion can cause changes in how a student or athlete thinks, feels and/or their ability to learn and remember - including affecting sporting and academic performance.
Recurrent concussions that occur before the brain heals can slow recovery and increase the changes for long term health problems.
HOW DO WE BECOME CONCUSSIONAWARE?
Becoming ConcussionAWARE is easy. Its a series of steps to ensure that your school or club understands and implements the latest in best practice concussion management. This is done by:
- Ensuring your club has a concussion policy that reflects global best practice standards. These change all the time and Optimus helps you keep up to date with the latest in best practice management
- Sports Trainers / School Nurses / First Aider Concussion Education Sessions.
- Coaches / Team Managers / Teachers in Charge / Umpire Education Sessions.
- Player / Student / Parent Information Evenings at the school or club x 2 per year
- Educational Material. Displayed around the school or club to create better community awareness of concussion symptoms.
Optimus takes care of all the logistics, we deliver our sessions onsite at the school* at a time that suits the school i.e pre, during or post school hours.